New Construction Tools And Trends For 2022
by Mike Wu on Mar 07, 2022
New Construction Tools And Trends
There is so much transformation in the digital landscape. New technologies are changing how the construction industry is working and help improve the ability to win new projects and increase profit margins. Some of the construction tools and trends you should watch out for in 2022 and beyond include:
Digital Measuring Devices
Digital measuring devices are self-contained devices that present measured quantity value on the digital display. The instruments help indicate the value in numbers making it very easy to interpret. They minimize human error, making them very accurate compared to analog devices. The digital measuring construction tools primarily include measuring tapes, laser distance measures, cutting tools, and speed square.
The Internet of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT) is defined as a system of various interrelated mechanical, digital, and computing devices. IoT is a very vital technology in construction. The technology is compromised of sensors and intelligent machines that ideally share data with other devices and are controlled from a central point.
The primary purpose of IoT is to provide a great site where equipment, personnel, and materials are synced at the same point, which helps regulate and monitor the activity in real-time, ensuring adherence to safety and current plan.
Some of the ways to incorporate IoT in the construction industry primarily include:
- Real-Time Site Map-the tool is handy in locating the laborers on the site and helps to keep them away from the danger zone.
- Wearables-these are devices that can be worn by anyone working on the construction site. The wearable can help track the worker's current location and alert the workers when they are close to any danger zone.
- Innovative machinery will be used to perform various repetitive tasks. For instance, a cement mixer that has a sensor will be able to order more cement and boost productivity and efficiency.
- Maintenance systems-the applications are very useful in tracking expenses in the construction business. They can offer precise and accurate data which is recorded.
Augmented and Virtual Reality
Virtual and augmented reality are advanced technologies that are slowly penetrating the market. These two technologies are on the rise, and the construction industry has adopted them. When virtual reality is paired with BIM, it helps to improve communication, design, and collaboration in this industry. AR and VR can be used in the construction industries in the following ways:
- The technology benefits equipment training, safety training, and building system installation. The application is handy to give trainees an excellent chance to learn about various machines before using the real thing.
- AR helps to let workers share what they can see on the construction site with an off-site worker. Workers thus can get live assistance from experts who can help them solve different problems.
- VR allows architects and designers to see a construction project in the immersive virtual environment before the actual construction.
Construction Drones and Robots
Drones are now prevalent in construction sites. They are being used to survey and take images on the site, thus essential in monitoring various stages of construction. On the other hand, robots are very useful in helping multiple tasks such as installation of drywall, bricklaying, and pouring concrete.
Drones and robots can benefit extensive mapping areas and are very valuable in a project. They can help give construction workers actionable data and real-time data, which is very useful in making quick decisions. This technology is outstanding in performing some hazardous tasks for humans to perform. Thus, it helps to reduce injuries in the construction area in the long run.
Building Information Modelling (BIM) Technology
BIM is a digital transformation mainly incorporated in the engineering, architecture, and construction industry. It is defined as the process of managing and creating information for an asset. The technology adopts a cloud platform and intelligent model. It helps to integrate structured and multi-disciplinary data helpful in producing a digital representation of an investment.
BIM technology is very helpful in the construction industry as it helps in better collaboration as each expert can add their knowledge to the same model.
BIM is incorporated in the construction industry to help improve efficiency, reduce waste and improve the quality of the buildings. It also helps to improve communication during the construction process. With this technology, all the changes, such availability of materials and schedules, are well-coordinated through mobile devices and digital applications in real-time.
Mobile and Cloud Technologies
Cloud technology enables construction businesses to store, utilize, and share critical data from anywhere as long they have a phone, tablet, and smartphone. The technology allows for the storage of data in a software-based program. Thus any data stored in this software can be accessed by everyone.
The construction industry can use cloud technology to enable project completion and improve their business. Some of the advantages of incorporating cloud technology in the construction industry include:
- Efficiency and productivity-cloud technology enable efficiency in the building industry. Construction workers can share specs, plans, images, measurements, and videos in the cloud. Anyone can access these data, thus enabling people to be fully connected.
- Saving costs-cloud technology will enable projects to be completed within a short period, lowering the involved costs in the construction process. Also, the technology can be used to manage the company's profits and expenses.
- Safety-through cloud technology, it is possible to share safety protocols with all workers. The workers can communicate issues such as safety protocols in the construction industry. Safety can also be improved via accurate data sharing, which is beneficial for the workers.
- Provide integrated labor delivery-another significant advantage of cloud technology is to enable integration of roles in the construction industry.
- Improve organization and productivity-in today's world; for a company to remain competitive, they must adopt a method to ensure there is modern organization and a high level of organization in the industry. This technology is quite efficient and will give your company leverage.
The construction industry is quite a boom and will remain competitive if they are keen to adopt the above essential construction tools. The tools will make the industry more efficient, innovative, and safer for the workers. The adoption of drones and robots is likely to skyrocket in the coming years, as this modern technology will help to minimize injuries and deaths in the construction industry. Remember that technology will leverage the construction industry and make the job site attractive and safer.